An investigation into the sharing economy phenomenon in the Greek tourism industry in the accommodation sector
Turystyka i Rozwój Regionalny, 2017, vol., nr 7, s. 25-35
A phenomenon that has spread as rapidly as the sharing economy, bypassing traditional distribution channels and disrupting established business models, has naturally provoked considerable controversy. Users, providers, sharing economy sites, established businesses offering similar services to those being shared (or traded, exchanged, rented, swapped or otherwise) and governments at all levels (municipality, province, nation state, regional, and even international), have found themselves on different sides of a furious debate about the present and future shape of the sharing economy. This article explores the drivers and impacts of sharing economy in the Greek hospitality industry, presents the legal framework and discusses the challenging and at times controversial nature of it.
- Badger E.: Who millennials trust, and don’t trust, is driving the new economy, The Washington Post 2015, April 16, retrieved from www.tinyurl.com (accessed: 03.09.2017).
- Davidson N., Infranca J.: The sharing economy as an urban phenomenon, Fordham University School of Law, 2016.
- Farrell M., Bensinger G.: The Wall Street Journal 2016, September 24.
- Heinrichs H.: Sharing economy: a potential new pathway to sustainability, Gaia 2013, vol. 22, no. 4, p. 228–231.
- Hellenic Chamber of Hotels. Sharing economy and the Greek tourism and hospitality sector. Athens 2015.
- J. Owyang: Infographic. A Day in the Life of the Collaborative Economy, WEB STRATEGIST, 2014.
- Killick R.: Sharing economy’ companies like Uber and Airbnb aren’t really ‘sharing’ anything, retrieved from www.uk.businessinsider.com (accessed: 03.09.2017).
- Koukaki is 5th in Airbnb list with the best neighbourhoods in the world. retrieved from www.tanea.gr (accessed: 03.09.2017).
- M. Scott: BlaBlaCar, a French Ride-Sharing Start-Up, Is Valued at $1.6 Billion, The New York Times 2015, September 16.
- Marshall P.: The sharing economy, SAGE Publishing Inc, 2015.
- Marx P.: You’re Welcome: Couchsurfing the Globe, The New Yorker 2012, April 16.
- Miller S.: First principles for regulating the sharing economy, Harvard Journal on Legislation 2015, vol. 53, p. 149–150.
- NESTA and Collaborative Lab. Making Sense of the UK Collaborative Economy, 2014, retrieved from www.nesta.org.uk (accessed: 01.09.2017).
- Piper D.: How Do Sharing Economy Companies Grow? A Comparison of Internal and External Growth Patterns of Airbnb and Uber, University of Tennessee, Knoxville 2016.
- Povich E.: How Governments Are Trying to Tax the Sharing Economy. Governing, retrieved from www. tinyurl.com (accessed: 04.09.2017).
- Rinne A.: 2015: The year of the sharing economy for cities? retrieved from www.weforum.org (accessed: 03.09.2017); OECD. Policies for the tourism sharing economy: OECD tourism trends and policies 2016. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, OECD Publishing, Paris 2016.
- Rozou A.: Greek ‘sharing economy’ accommodates tourists, Rozou and Associates Law Office 2017, January 19.
- Selloni D.: New Forms of Economies: Sharing Economy, Collaborative Consumption, Peer-to-Peer Economy. [in:] CoDesign for Public-Interest Services. Research for Development, Springer 2017.
- Shankman S.: How Couchsurfing Plans to Take Back Its Corner of the Sharing Economy, Skift 2014.
- Stephany A.: The Business of Sharing: Making It in the Sharing Economy. Palgrave Macmillan, New York 2015.
- The ‘Sharing Economy’ in tourism deprives Greece of millions of Euros, retrieved from www.news.gtp. gr (accessed: 02.09.2017).
- The sharing economy – sizing the revenue opportunity, www.pwc.co.uk.
- The sharing economy is here to stay, www.grreporter.info.
- The ultimate list of sharing economy services for travel, www.thriftynomads.com.
- Toeniskoetter C.: Hospitality Exchange: Overcoming safety, trust, and gender concerns in the Couchsurfing community. University of Michigan, Michigan 2013.
- www.airbnb.com (accessed: 02.09.2017).
- www.flipkey.com (accessed: 02.09.2017).
- www.homeaway.com (accessed: 01.09.2017).
- www.housetrip.com (accessed: 03.09.2017).
- www.keeptalkinggreece.com (accessed: 03.09.2017).
- Zervas G., Proserpio D., Buyers J.: The rise of the sharing economy: Estimating the impact of Airbnb on the hotel industry, George Mason Law and Economics, Research Paper 2013, no. 16.